Assia Damianova is special counsel in the Capital Markets Group in Cadwalader’s London office.
Her practice focuses on complex financing transactions involving a wide variety of asset classes. Assia has extensive experience with derivative products including credit default swaps, credit-linked notes, total return swaps, currency and interest rate swaps, equity derivatives, structured repos, capital relief trades (acting for arrangers and for investors) and securitisation transactions, and related regulatory issues. In addition, she advises buy-side clients on a wide range of trading, compliance and portfolio management issues.
Assia’s experience includes:
- Advising a Japanese bank on two significant risk transfer securitisations.
- Advising an asset manager on capital relief investments.
- Advising a specialist hedge fund on its capital relief investments.
- Advising the arrangers in a Greek NPL deal.
- Advising the arranger on a structured repo transaction relating to warehoused assets.
- Advising the lender on a number of repo financing transactions.
- During the COVID-19 crisis, advising on various derivatives close-outs and related issues.
- Advising a U.S. government–sponsored, buy-side participant on accessing the LCH.Clearnet platform to clear interest rate derivatives; providing ongoing advice on all issues impacting that client’s derivatives portfolio.
- Ongoing advice to broker-dealers and buy-side clients on regulatory derivatives issues relating to EMIR, AIFMD, short selling, client asset protection and counterparty risk.
- Ongoing advice relating to the derivatives hedging of structured deals (interest rate, cross-currency, currency swaps, basis swaps, caps, floors and other derivatives instruments).
- Advising on a number of de-risking, ratings-related and other restructuring projects linked to structured products and derivatives.
Assia received a Bachelor of Laws in 1994 from the University of Wales, College of Cardiff. Before that, she attended the Law Department of Sofia University (1988-1991) and also attended a one-year course in Business Administration and Eastern European Studies. Assia completed the Legal Practice Course at the College of Law in Chester (1994-1995). She is admitted to practice in England and Wales.