Assia Damianova is special counsel in the Capital Markets Group in Cadwalader’s London office.
Her practice focuses on complex financing transactions involving a wide variety of asset classes. Assia has extensive experience with derivative products (including credit default swaps, credit-linked notes, total return swaps, currency and interest rate swaps, equity derivatives, repos and other derivative instruments) and securitisation transactions (including capital relief trades and NPL transactions ) and also advises on related regulatory issues. In addition, she advises buy-side clients on a wide range of trading, compliance and portfolio management issues.
Assia’s experience includes:
- Advising a U.S. government–sponsored, buy-side participant on accessing the LCH.Clearnet platform to clear interest rate derivatives; providing ongoing advice on all issues impacting that client’s derivatives portfolio (predominantly interest rate swaps) (current).
- Ongoing advice to broker-dealers and buy-side clients on regulatory derivatives issues relating to EMIR, AIFMD, short selling, client asset protection and counterparty risk (current).
- Advising on a number of de-risking, ratings-related and other restructuring projects linked to structured products and derivatives (multiple projects over the last 12 years).
- Advising a client on a private structured derivative deal with the Republic of Ecuador (2018).
- During the COVID-19 crisis, advising on various derivatives close-outs and related issues (current).
- Ongoing advice relating to the derivatives hedging of structured deals (interest rate, cross-currency, currency swaps, basis swaps, caps, floors and other derivatives instruments) (current).
- Represented a major dealer in connection with a repurchase transaction with a LatAm sovereign on bonds issued by such sovereign (2018).
Assia received a Bachelor of Laws in 1994 from the University of Wales, College of Cardiff. Before that, she attended the Law Department of Sofia University (1988-1991) and also attended a one-year course in Business Administration and Eastern European Studies. Assia completed the Legal Practice Course at the College of Law in Chester (1994-1995). She is admitted to practice in England and Wales.