Derivatives & Structured Products
Distressed Investing and Mergers & Acquisitions
Distressed Structured Products
Insurance and Reinsurance
Marketplace Lending and FinTech
Securitization & Asset Based Finance
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
New York University School of Law - LL.M., 1985
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center - J.D., 1984
State University of New York at Stony Brook - B.A., 1981
Ira Schacter is a senior partner in the Capital Markets Group and has been at the firm for 35 years. Ira represents clients in all aspects of corporate and financial matters, with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and complex structured finance. His practice consists principally of representing public and private acquirors, targets and private equity sponsors in connection with negotiated and contested mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, joint ventures and IP monetizations as well as other structured and complex financings.
In addition, Ira has worked extensively on transactions in the life sciences and technology sectors involving strategic alliances and commercialization collaborations, and intellectual property monetizations. Most notably, he has advised clients on the structure of royalty and patent stream monetizations, the purchase and sale of intellectual property assets, and the acquisition and disposition of IP-focused businesses and the securitization of virtually every type of cash flow producing asset.
Over the course of his career, Ira has been involved in virtually all aspects of the structured finance business with almost every type of securitization, including insurance risk, whole-company, and CLOs and with assets from the traditional to the varied, including corporate loans, swap receivables, repo, and other financial assets, as well as a variety of other unique assets, such as franchise royalties and shipping containers.
He received his B.A. in Economics from the State University of New York at Stony Brook; a J.D. from the Nova Center for the Study of Law, where he was a Notes and Comments Editor of the Law Review; and an LL.M. in corporations law from the New York University School of Law.
Representative recent transactions in which Ira had a leading role include:
- Represented Mill City Holdings as sponsor in the issuance of approximately $229 million Solar Loan Backed Notes, marking the company’s inaugural solar loan securitization.
- Represented Goldman Sachs as placement agent in a financing in connection with the sale by Vanderbilt University of $1.4 billion of certain royalties owed by Vanderbilt University.
- Represented Oppenheimer & Co. Inc. and Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, as Initial Purchasers in the private placement of Aeropuertos Argentina 2000’s US$400,000,000 6.875% Senior Secured Notes due 2027. The Company, which operates 33 of the 54 airports in the Argentine national airport system, accounting for approximately 90% of all air traffic in Argentina, used the net proceeds from the sale of the Notes to refinance existing debt and to finance airport improvements. Collateral for the Notes included airport passenger charges and the Company’s rights to receive payments from the Government of Argentina in the event the Company’s concession to operate the airports is terminated, expropriated or redeemed.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Representing Mercuria Energy Group on its acquisition of J.P. Morgan's physical energy and commodities business.
- Representing Salix Pharmaceuticals on its terminated $2.5 billion inversion combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals.
- Representing Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its $525 million acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
- Representing Exelon Corporation on its acquisitions of Integrys Energy Services, a retail electricity and natural gas company, and ETC ProLiance Energy, a natural gas marketing company.
- Representing Citigroup in a term loan financing for a special purpose entity to co-invest in a slate of films produced by Sony Pictures Entertainment.
- Representing Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC as sole structuring advisor and sole placement agent for a $50 million royalty bond financing by an indirect special purpose subsidiary of Danish pharmaceutical company Zealand Pharma, A/S, backed by stand-alone patent royalties and milestone payments from the licensee of Zealand’s diabetes drug lixisenatide.