Derivatives & Structured Products
Distressed Investing and Mergers & Acquisitions
Distressed Structured Products
Insurance and Reinsurance
Marketplace Lending and FinTech
Securitization & Asset Based Finance
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
New York University School of Law - LL.M., 1985
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center - J.D., 1984
State University of New York at Stony Brook - B.A., 1981
Ira Schacter is a senior partner who frequently serves as a holistic strategic advisor and extension of internal counsel to his clients in the financial services, technology and life sciences sectors. An example of this is Ira’s work for Cybereason, a leading cybersecurity technology company. Ira has advised Cybereason in connection with multiple financing transactions from SoftBank Group and in the evaluation of various strategic alternatives, as well as day-to-day matters including board matters, corporate governance, cap table maintenance, commercial agreements, internal corporate policies, regulatory compliance procedures, employee compensation, and financial and tax reporting.
Ira also focuses on all aspects of complex structured finance transactions. Over the course of his more than 35-year career, Ira has been involved in virtually every type of securitization, including whole-company, insurance risk and CLOs, and with assets ranging from the traditional to the esoteric, including corporate loans, swap receivables, repurchase agreements and other financial assets, as well as franchise and intellectual property royalties and consumer assets. In addition, Ira has worked extensively on transactions in the life sciences and technology sectors involving strategic alliances and commercialization collaborations, and intellectual property monetizations.
He received his B.A. in Economics from the State University of New York at Stony Brook; a J.D. from the Nova Center for the Study of Law, where he was a Notes and Comments Editor of the Law Review; and an LL.M. in corporations law from the New York University School of Law.
Selected Securitization & Asset Based Finance Experience
- UNIFY Financial Credit Union and GTE Federal Credit Union as sponsors in their respective inaugural auto loan securitizations, representing the first two and, to this date, only securitizations by federal credit unions.
- GoodFinch Fund I and Mill City Holdings as sponsors in their respective inaugural solar loan securitization.
- Goldman Sachs as placement agent in a $1.5 billion financing of long-term intellectual property rights for The Vanderbilt University related to certain trademark license royalty payment obligations and other assets owed to VU by the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, a non-profit medical center that was spun-off from VU in 2016, named “Most Innovative Securitization Deal of the Year” by GlobalCapital in 2019.
- Oppenheimer and Morgan Stanley as initial purchasers in a $400 million offering of 6.875% senior secured notes due 2027, collateralized by airport passenger charges and the Company’s rights to receive payments from the Government of Argentina in the event the Company’s concession to operate the airports is terminated, expropriated or redeemed.
- Guggenheim as sole structuring advisor, bookrunning manager and initial purchaser in a $455 million whole-company securitization for Harley Marine Services collateralized by a portfolio of 122 owned and leased-in marine vessels and related customer contracts.
- Citigroup in a term loan financing for a SPE to co-invest in a slate of films produced by Sony Pictures Entertainment.
- Intellectual Ventures in the development of patent royalty monetization strategies in the United States and Europe.
- JP Morgan and other lenders in a $21 billion securitization of Hilton Hotels and related brands’ hotel franchise agreements, secured by franchise royalties, intellectual property, real estate and related operating cash flows for select U.S. and international properties.
- HealthCare Royalty Partners in numerous royalty financings, including for Agenus, Chiasma, Karyopharm Therapeutics, Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Zogenix, among others.
- Credit Suisse as sole structuring and financial advisor in royalty monetization transactions for AcelRx and Zealand Pharma, among others.
- Goldman Sachs in the whole company securitization of IHOP/Applebee’s International, named “ABS Deal of the Year” by GlobalCapital in 2008.
- Ambac Assurance Corporation as insurer in the structuring, documentation and implementation a $1.6 billion senior securitization of franchise fees, royalties and other cashflows relating to U.S. and international Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donut operations, Baskin-Robbins ice cream operations and Togo's sandwich operations.
Selected Corporate Experience
- Cybereason Inc. in connection with its $200 million Series E investment from SoftBank Group Corp.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Mercuria Energy Group on its acquisition of J.P. Morgan's physical energy and commodities business.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals on its terminated $2.5 billion inversion combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals.
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its $525 million acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
- Exelon Corporation on its acquisitions of Integrys Energy Services, a retail electricity and natural gas company, and ETC ProLiance Energy, a natural gas marketing company.