Distressed Investing and Mergers & Acquisitions
Mergers & Acquisitions
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Fordham University, School of Law - J.D., 1991
Georgetown University - A.B., 1988, cum laude
William Mills is co-chair of Cadwalader’s Corporate Group, co-chair of the firm’s Health Care Industry Team and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He represents clients in a wide range of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, public and private securities offerings, shareholder activism, proxy contests, spin-offs, restructurings, leveraged buyouts, tender and exchange offers, and joint ventures. He regularly advises public companies and boards of directors on corporate governance, fiduciary duty and disclosure matters, as well as investment banks as financial advisers on M&A and other transactions.
Bill is recognized as a leading M&A lawyer by IFLR1000 and a "Key Individual" by Legal 500, who describes him as "a very knowledgeable corporate lawyer with a very calm demeanor who does not get flustered no matter how intense the negotiations.” Bill is a published author and a frequent speaker on M&A, corporate governance and securities laws matters, including at Tulane University Law School's Annual Corporate Law Institute, where he has participated in recent panels, “Current Best Practices in Considering and Approving Transactions in Target and Buyer Company Board Rooms” and "What's Market in Merger Agreements,” and at the Association of Corporate Counsel’s New York City Chapter, where he recently presented on “2018 Trends in M&A: Diligence, Drafting, Deal Certainty and Integration Expectations.”
Bill received his A.B., cum laude, from Georgetown University and his J.D. from Fordham Law School, where he was Notes and Comments Editor of the International Law Journal.
- AngioDynamics, Inc. in its $167.5 million sale of its NAMIC® fluid management portfolio to Medline Industries, Inc.
- Inteva Products in the sale of its roof systems design and assembly business to CIE Automotive.
- Towers Watson in its acquisitions of Acclaris, Extend Health and Liazon Corporation and the sale of its reinsurance brokerage business to JLT.
- AngioDynamics in its acquisitions of RadiaDyne, the BioSentry Tract Sealant assets of Surgical Specialties, Navilyst Medical, Microsulis Medical, Vortex Medical and Clinical Devices.
- Genpact in its acquisitions of Barkawai Management Consultants, OnSource and TandemSeven.
- New Mexico Health Connections in the sale of its commercial health insurance business to Evolent Health.
- Medifast in its agreement with Engaged Capital.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor to Jos. A. Bank in connection with its agreement to acquire Eddie Bauer and its subsequent sale to Men's Wearhouse.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor to Allergan in its defense of an unsolicited offer from Valeant Pharmaceuticals.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International.
- Forbes Media in its sale of a majority stake to a group of international investors as part of the Company's global growth strategy.
- The Pasha Group in its acquisition of the Hawaii trade-lane business of Horizon Lines.
- Everi Holdings, Inc. (formerly Multimedia Games, Inc.) in its acquisition of PokerTek.
- Unarco in its acquisition of certain assets of Creative Storage Systems.
- J.P. Morgan as financial advisor to the Special Committee of Dell in the Company's $24 billion going private transaction with Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners.
- The United States Department of the Treasury in the management of its $250 billion TARP Capital Purchase Program.
- Seacoast Banking Corp. of Florida, the holding company for Seacoast National Bank, in its acquisitions of Floridian Financial Group, the parent company of Floridian Bank, and GolfShore Bancshares, the parent company of GulfShore Bank.
- Élan in its $3.25 billion sale of Tysabri rights to Biogen Idec.
- Pfizer in its acquisitions of Embrex, King Pharmaceuticals, Vicuron Pharmaceuticals, Warner-Lambert and Wyeth, and in the respective sales of its Capsugel business to KKR its consumer health care division for $16 billion to Johnson & Johnson.
- DPL in its merger with AES.
- Bear Stearns in its acquisition by JPMorgan Chase.
- Trian Fund Management in the sale of Wendy's to Triarc Companies and its successful proxy contest with H.J. Heinz Company.
- Xstrata in the sale of its Noranda aluminum division to Apollo Global Management.
- StorageTek in its merger with Sun Microsystems.
- Celanese in the sale of its polyvinyl alcohol business to Sekisui Chemical.
- RGIS Holdings in its sale to The Blackstone Group.
- Republic Bancorp in its merger with Citizens Banking Corporation.
- US WEST in its merger with Qwest Communications.
- MediaOne in its merger with AT&T.
- Dayton Power & Light in the $850 million sale of its private equity portfolio.
- Six Flags in its joint venture to acquire Dick Clark Productions and in its sale of theme parks to Parc 7F-Operations and CNL Income Properties.
- Credit Suisse in its acquisitions of Select Portfolio Servicing and Lime Financial.
- Del Laboratories in its sale to Kelso & Company.
- Dianon Systems in its sale to Laboratory Corporation of America, and previously in its acquisition of UroCor.
- Bear Stearns in its acquisition of United Companies Financial.
- Toys R Us in its joint ventures with Softbank Capital Partners and Amazon.com.
- Bally Total Fitness in its acquisition of Crunch Fitness International.
- Moore Medical in its acquisition by McKesson Corporation.
- Wakefern Food Corp. in numerous acquisitions and dispositions, including the $255 million acquisition of Big V Supermarkets.
As counsel to financial advisors:
- Par Pharmaceutical's $1.9 billion sale to TPG Capital.
- Koppers' acquisition of The Wood.
- Cytec's sale of its coating resins business to Advent International.
- CVS's $27 billion merger with Caremark.
- Cedar Fair's acquisition of Paramount Parks.
- The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Pixar.
- Sotheby's Holdings' recapitalization transaction with A. Alfred Taubman.
- Google's investment and strategic alliance with America Online.
- Harrahs Entertainment's acquisition of Rio Hotel & Casino.
- Symbion's acquisition by Crestview Partners.
- Carreker's acquisition by Checkfree.
- Shire plc's acquisition of New River Pharmaceuticals.
- Primedex Health Systems merger with Radiologix.
- ADVO's merger with Valassis Communications.
- Caxton-Iseman Capital's acquisition of Valley National Gases.
- Jude Medical's acquisition of Advanced Neuromodulation Systems.
Securities offerings by:
- Bear Stearns
- Dayton Power & Light
- Northwest Airlines
- Scientific Games