Distressed Investing and Mergers & Acquisitions
Mergers & Acquisitions
University of Missouri, School of Law - J.D.
University of Missouri - B.S.
Christopher T. Cox represents clients in a wide array of corporate and financial matters, with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. Previously chair of Cadwalader’s Corporate Group and a member of the firm’s Management Committee, Chris has represented public and private acquirors, targets, investment banks and private equity sponsors in connection with negotiated and contested mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, spin-offs, joint ventures, proxy contests and IP monetizations and other complex financings. He also represents foreign and domestic entities in cross-border business transactions.
In addition to his transactional experience, Chris counsels clients on a broad range of corporate, securities and business-related matters and on matters of corporate policy and strategy, including directors' duties and responsibilities, governance, disclosure issues and compliance. With a premier reputation for advising businesses in the life sciences industry, Chris was selected by The American Lawyer as one of its “Dealmakers of the Year” for his work with Irish drugmaker Élan Corporation, as well as "2014 Global M&A Deal of the Year: Europe/Ireland" award for his representation of Élan in its sale to Perrigo Company. He was named an M&A Atlas Top 50 Global M&A Lawyers for “2014 Distinction in Dealmaking,” and won the "Deal of the Year" award for Élan/Perrigo in 2014 and “U.S.A. M&A Deal of the year – Large Markets” for Acorda/Civitas. Chris is recognized for his work in mergers, acquisitions and buyouts by Chambers and The Legal 500 and he was among the first 100 lawyers named to the 2015-2016 Lawdragon 500 annual guide. His work for Credit Suisse on behalf of Zealand Pharma was nominated for Scrips “Financing Deal of the Year Award” and he was shortlisted for the IFLR "European M&A Deal of the Year" award.
Chris’s transactional experience covers a broad range of industries, including communications, defense and aerospace, energy, financial institutions, insurance, life sciences, media, natural resources, real estate, retail and technology.
Chris received his B.S. from the University of Missouri and his J.D. from the University's Law School, where he was a member of the Missouri Law Review. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board in its $12 billion acquisition of Antares Capital, a part of the General Electric financial services arm GE Capital.
- Pershing Square Capital Management in its acquisition of a 7.5% stake in Mondelez International, Inc.
- Cigna Corporation in connection with the public offering of $900 million of 3.250% Senior Notes due 2025.
- Cigna Corporation in connection with its acquisition of QualCare Alliance Networks, Inc.
- JP Morgan Chase as financial advisor in connection with Pfizer's $17 billion acquisition of Hospira, Inc.
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
- Forbes Media LLC in its sale of a majority equity interest to a group of international investors led by Integrated Asset Management (Asia) Limited.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals in its terminated combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals.
- Élan Corporation in its $8.6 billion acquisition by Perrigo Company.
- Élan Corporation in its successful defense of a hostile tender offer by Royalty Pharma.
- Air Products and Chemicals in its agreement with Pershing Square Capital Management following the 9.8% investment position taken by Bill Ackman.
- Cigna Corporation in connection with a $1.5 billion Revolving Credit and Letter of Credit Agreement.
- Credit Suisse as sole structuring and financial advisor to AcelRx Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in the monetization of the expected royalty stream from the sales of Salviso in the European Union by its commercial partner Grunenthal GmbH.
- Credit Suisse, as sole structuring advisor and sole placement agent, in connection with a structured bond financing by Zealand Pharma A/S secured by lixisenatide (Lyxumia®) royalties.
- Centerview Partners LLC, as financial advisor to Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc., in connection with the sale of Avanir to Otsuka Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd.
- Brandon Point Industries Limited and Woodford Investment Management in connection with an equity investment in Viamet Pharmaceuticals Holdings, LLC.
- Cadiz Inc. in connection with a public equity offering.
- Dell Inc.’s financial advisor in connection with Dell’s $24.9 billion acquisition by Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners.
- Élan Corporation in its attempted $1.0 billion acquisition from Theravance, Inc. of a 21% participation interest in potential future royalty payments related to four respiratory programs partnered with GlaxoSmithKline plc.
- HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a debt financing to Dyax Corp. secured by Dyax’s phage display Licensing and Funded Research Program.
- Élan Corporation in connection with a $1 billion share repurchase.
- Élan Corporation in connection with a Rule 144A offering of $850 million in aggregate principal amount of senior notes.
- Par Pharmaceutical’s financial advisor in connection with Par’s $1.8 billion acquisition by TPG Capital.
- Élan Corporation in the $3.25 billion sale of its interest in Tysabri® to Biogen Idec.
- Cadiz Inc. in connection with a comprehensive debt refinancing.
- HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a royalty financing to Vertex Pharmaceuticals.
- Élan Corporation in connection with the spinoff of its drug discovery business into a new, independent publicly-traded company, Prothena Corporation.
- YMF Media in its acquisition of the intellectual property rights of Kiss FM from Emmis Communications.
- Deutsche Bank, BNP PARIBAS and Banca IMI, as joint book-running managers, in connection with the public offering of €300 million in aggregate principal amount of Senior Notes by Air Products and Chemicals.
- Nektar Therapeutics in its sale of royalties on future sales of CIMZIA® and Mircera® to Royalty Pharma.
- HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a royalty financing with, and equity investment in, Zogenix, Inc.
- Corning Incorporated’s financial advisor in connection with Corning’s $730 million purchase of Becton Dickinson’s Discovery Labware unit.
- HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with its Synthetic Royalty® investment in AcuFocus, Inc.
- Forbes in its sale of a minority stake in Forbes Media, which includes Forbes magazine, the Forbes.com Web site and a number of smaller media properties, to Elevation Partners.
- White Birch Paper Company in its acquisition of SP Newsprint Company.
- Élan Corporation in connection with the $960 million sale of its drug technology unit, EDT, to Alkermes plc and in connection with Élan’s secondary offering of 25% of the outstanding ordinary shares of Alkermes plc.
- Élan Corporation in connection with the $1.4 billion sale of its Alzheimer’s Immunotherapy Program to an affiliate of Johnson &Johnson, honored as the Biotech M&A/Alliance Deal of the Year, 2010.
- Élan Corporation in connection with its settlement of the U.S. Department of Justice’s investigation of sales and marketing practices for Zonegran® (zonisamide).
- ICON plc in its acquisition of Prevalere Life Sciences, Inc.
- ICON plc in its acquisition of Healthcare Discoveries, Inc., formerly a wholly owned subsidiary of Catalyst Pharma Group Inc.
- Beazer Homes in connection with investigations by, and settlement with, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice and other authorities concerning accounting irregularities and mortgage practices.
- 1-800-Flowers.com in its acquisition of Fannie May Confections Brands, Inc.
- ORS Nasco in its sale to Brazos Private Equity Partners, LLC.
- Mediacom Communications Corporation’s financial advisors in connection with Mediacom’s $2.1 billion acquisition of AT&T Broadband Cable Systems.
- JPMorgan in connection with the initial public offering of Mediacom Communications Corporation.
- ICON plc in a public offering of American Depositary Shares.