Distressed Investing and Mergers & Acquisitions
Mergers & Acquisitions
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Fordham University, School of Law - J.D., 1991
Georgetown University - A.B., 1988, cum laude
William Mills represents clients in a wide range of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, public and private securities offerings, shareholder activism, proxy contests, spin-offs, restructurings, leveraged buyouts, tender and exchange offers, and joint ventures. He regularly advises public companies and boards of directors on corporate governance, fiduciary duty and disclosure matters, as well as investment banks as financial advisers on M&A and other transactions.
Bill is co-chairman of Cadwalader's Corporate Group, co-chair of the firm's Health Care industry team and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He is recognized as a leading M&A lawyer by IFLR1000 and a "Key Individual" by Legal 500, who describes him as "a very knowledgeable corporate lawyer with a very calm demeanor who does not get flustered no matter how intense the negotiations." Bill recently received an M&A Atlas Award for "Transportation & Logistics Deal of the Year. Bill is a published author and frequent speaker on M&A, corporate governance and securities laws matters, including at Tulane University Law School's Annual Corporate Law Institute where he recently participated in the panel "What's Market in Merger Agreements" and at the American Bar Association Business Law Section Annual Meeting where he participated in the panel "A Roadmap for Shareholder-Director Engagement: Introducing the SDX Protocol." He received his A.B., cum laude, from Georgetown University and his J.D. from Fordham Law School where he was Notes and Comments Editor of the International Law Journal.
- Represented New Mexico Health Connections (NMHC) in the sale of its commercial health insurance business to Evolent Health, Inc.
- The Medicines Company in its agreement to sell its infectious disease business to Melinta Therapeutics, Inc. for $270 million and royalty payments on net sales of the pharmaceutical products sold to Melinta in the transaction.
- Towers Watson in its acquisition of Acclaris and its acquisitions of Extend Health and Liazon Corporation and the sale of its reinsurance brokerage business to JLT.
- Medifast in its agreement with Engaged Capital.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor to Jos. A. Bank in connection with its agreement to acquire Eddie Bauer and its subsequent sale to Men's Wearhouse.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor to Allergan in its defense of an unsolicited offer from Valeant Pharmaceuticals.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Forbes Media LLC on its sale of a majority stake to a group of international investors as part of the Company's global growth strategy.
- The Pasha Group in its acquisition of the Hawaii trade-lane business of Horizon Lines, Inc.
- Multimedia games in its acquisition of PokerTek Inc.
- AngioDynamics in its acquisitions of Navilyst Medical, Microsulis Medical, Vortex Medical and Clinical Devices.
- Unarco Inc.'s acquisition of certain assets of Creative Storage Systems, Inc.
- JP Morgan as financial advisor to the Dell Inc. Special Committee in the $24 billion going private transaction with Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners.
- The United States Department of the Treasury in the management of its $250 billion TARP Capital Purchase Program.
- Seacoast Banking Corp. of Florida, the holding company for Seacoast National Bank, on its definitive agreement to acquire Lake Mary-based Floridian Financial Group Inc., the parent company of Floridian Bank.
- Preservation and Railroad Services businesses of Osmose Holdings, Inc.
- Élan Corporation's $3.25 billion sale of Tysabri rights to Biogen Idec.
- Pfizer Inc. in the sale of its Capsugel business to KKR, its acquisition of King Pharmaceuticals, its acquisitions of Wyeth, Warner-Lambert, Vicuron Pharmaceuticals and Embrex, Inc., and the $16 billion sale of its consumer health care division to Johnson & Johnson.
- DPL Inc.'s merger with AES Corp.
- Bear Stearns Companies Inc. acquisition by JPMorgan Chase.
- Trian Fund Management in the sale of Wendy's International to Triarc Companies and its successful proxy contest with H.J. Heinz Company.
- Xstrata Plc's sale of its Noranda aluminum division to Apollo Management.
- StorageTek's merger with Sun Microsystems.
- Celanese's sale of its polyvinyl alcohol business to Sekisui Chemical.
- RGIS Holdings' sale to the Blackstone Group.
- Republic Bancorp Inc.'s merger with Citizens Banking Corporation.
- U S WEST's merger with Qwest Communications.
- MediaOne's merger with AT&T.
- Dayton Power & Light's $850 million sale of its private equity portfolio.
- Six Flags Inc.'s joint venture to acquire Dick Clark Productions Inc. and its sale of theme parks to Parc 7F-Operations and CNL Income Properties.
- Credit Suisse's acquisitions of Select Portfolio Servicing and Lime Financial.
- Del Laboratories' sale to Kelso & Company.
- Dianon Systems' sale to Laboratory Corporation of America.
- Bear Stearns' acquisition of United Companies Financial Corp.
- Toys R Us, Inc.'s joint ventures with Softbank Capital Partners and Amazon.com.
- Bally Total Fitness' acquisition of Crunch Fitness International.
- Dianon Systems' acquisition of UroCor, Inc.
- Moore Medical Corp.'s acquisition by McKesson Corporation.
- ShopRite Supermarkets' acquisition of Big V Supermarkets.
As counsel to financial advisors:
- Par Pharmaceutical's $1.9 billion sale to TPG.
- Koppers Inc. in its acquisition of The Wood.
- Cytec's sale of its coating resins business to Advent International.
- CVS's $27 billion merger with Caremark.
- Cedar Fair's acquisition of Paramount Parks.
- The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Pixar.
- Sotheby's Holdings Inc.'s recapitalization transaction with A. Alfred Taubman.
- Google Inc.'s investment and strategic alliance with America Online, Inc.
- Harrahs Entertainment's acquisition of Rio Hotel & Casino, Inc.
- Symbion's acquisition by Crestview Partners.
- Carreker's acquisition by Checkfree Corporation.
- Shire plc's acquisition of New River Pharmaceuticals.
- Primedex Health Systems merger with Radiologix, Inc.
- ADVO Inc.'s merger with Valassis Communications.
- Caxton-Iseman Capital, Inc.'s acquisition of Valley National Gases Incorporated.
- St. Jude Medical, Inc.'s acquisition of Advanced Neuromodulation Systems, Inc.
Securities offerings by:
- Pfizer Inc.
- Élan Corporation
- The Bear Stearns Companies Inc.
- The Dayton Power & Light Company
- Northwest Airline Corporation
- Cosi, Inc.
- Scientific Games Corporation