Veterans Affinity Network
Cadwalader’s Veterans Affinity Network comprises more than 30 attorneys and staff in our New York, Washington, D.C. and Charlotte's offices dedicated to addressing issues important to military veterans, active-duty servicemembers, reservists and their families. Our mission is to:
- Sponsor and partner with local and national organizations to provide pro bono legal and mentoring services to veterans.
- Identify and recruit veteran candidates from top-tier law schools with armed forces / military student associations.
- Promote the leadership and professional development of veteran attorneys at the firm.
- Build and foster a sense of community among attorneys at the firm, our partner organizations, and our clients interested in supporting military veterans both internally and externally.
Key initiatives and activities integral to the Veterans Affinity Network’s mission, and its recent successes include:
- Pro Bono Partnerships. Through partnerships with the City Bar Justice Center in New York, the Veterans Legal Assistance Project (part of the Neighborhood Legal Services Program) in Washington, D.C., and the Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy in Charlotte, our attorneys work with veteran clients and their family members on disability appeals to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), discharge upgrade requests to the various military service branches, and help staff walk-in clinics designed to address the legal needs of our nation’s veterans. Cadwalader has attorneys in its U.S. offices who are accredited VA claims attorneys, as well as litigators with experience handling appeals in the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Law School Outreach. Members of the Veterans Affinity Network are active in recruiting, outreach efforts, and speaking on career panels at universities and law schools with veteran-focused student groups.
- Public Service Events. Cadwalader is a proud sponsor of the Veterans' Legal Career Fair in Washington, D.C., which matches veterans and active-duty servicemembers preparing for a transition out of the military with law firms and other potential employers. Members of the Veterans Affinity Network participate each year in the “Building Smiles” Day of Service conducted by the 9/11 Tribute Center in New York.
- Speaker Series. Cadwalader’s Veterans Affinity Network hosts a regular speaker series covering topics relevant to veterans in the workforce. These include individual and panel discussions on the value veterans bring to an employer, best practices associated with veteran transitions from the public to the private sector, and balancing civilian and military reserve careers.
For more information about Cadwalader’s Veterans Affinity Network, contact Robert Duncan.