Cadwalader’s LGBT Network (CLN) strives to:
- Develop, build and foster a sense of community among LGBT attorneys at the firm.
- Promote a non-discriminatory and diverse environment at the firm and support the discussion of current LGBT issues.
- Sponsor or support educational and cultural LGBT-themed programs for attorneys and others.
- Increase the firm’s pro bono work related to LGBT issues.
- Pursue business development opportunities through engagement with similar client affinity groups.
- Advocate for issues of importance to the LGBT community at large.
Key initiatives and activities integral to CLN’s mission, and its successes, include:
- Cultural Awareness. CLN organizes programs and events to bring together diverse and non-diverse attorneys and staff to learn about important legal issues confronting the LGBT community. Recent events include The Short Honeymoon: LGBT Issues and Justice, featuring James Esseks, Director of the ACLU’s LGBT & HIV Project, who has played an integral role in marriage equality and transgender discrimination cases across the country; and The Fight for Marriage Equality in the Supreme Court, featuring Mary Bonauto, GLAD’s Civil Rights Project Director, and Janson Wu, GLAD’s Executive Director. Bonauto discussed her experience arguing before the U.S. Supreme Court for marriage equality and Wu discussed the future of the LGBT rights movement.
- Pro Bono and Community Outreach. CLN partners with organizations including TLDEF, GLAD, Lambda Legal and Immigration Equality to provide free legal services to members of the LGBT community. CLN has played a major role in supporting TLDEF’s Name Change Project which provides legal name change services to transgender New York City residents. Additionally, CLN will bring the name change project to Charlotte. CLN also has an ongoing partnership with Immigration Equality to represent LGBT clients who are seeking asylum in the United States.
- Professional Development. CLN spearheads a monthly speaker series to provide Affinity Network members with access to firm leaders and an open forum for career development and advancement and current legal issues.
- Recruiting. As part of the firm’s diversity recruiting efforts, CLN supports several LGBT law student associations by speaking on panels, hosting workshops and serving as mentors. Supported student associations include: Penn Law Lambda, Columbia OUTlaws, Fordham OUTlaw, Brooklyn Law School OUTlaw and Cardozo OUTlaw. Additionally, CLN sponsors national career fairs that target LGBT law students including the LeGal Career Fair and Lavender Law.
Cadwalader received a perfect 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign 2019 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) and was designated as a Best Place to Work for LGBT Equality for a seventh consecutive year.
For more information about Cadwalader’s LGBT Network, contact Jared Stanisci at Jared.Stanisci@cwt.com.