Emma Farrow is an associate in Cadwalader’s Global Litigation Group. Her international arbitration and litigation experience includes a broad range of commercial and investment treaty matters, including disputes in the oil and gas, commodities, banking and finance, internet technology, pharmaceuticals and insurance sectors.
Emma advises clients on matters under the rules of all the major arbitral institutions, as well as before the English and off-shore courts, in particular issues arising out of joint ventures, concession agreements, shareholder relationships and commonly involving issues, such as breaches of director duties, complex aspects of contract law, trusts and the law of torts. She also counsels on matters concerning private and public international law. In addition, Emma assists clients in obtaining or defending injunctions and interim relief, and regularly provides strategic and risk management advice.
Emma attended Oxford University and completed her Legal Practice Course at the College of Law in Manchester. She is admitted to practice in England and Wales.
Emma’s representative experience includes advising:
- a consortium of Middle Eastern oil and gas companies in three multibillion-dollar LCIA arbitrations relating to long-term contracts for the exploitation of petroleum in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- A Ukrainian businessman in the defence of a substantial claim before the English High Court related to investments in the metals sector.
- a major European financial institution in connection with the defence of U.S. regulatory investigations into sanctions compliance and the implementation of settlements.
- a European internet technology company in a joint venture dispute with a major British telecommunications corporation.
- the majority shareholders and the founder of Viking River Cruises defending a multimillion-dollar minority shareholder claim in the Bermuda Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- as defence counsel, the Republic of South Sudan in ICSID proceedings brought by Sudapet Co. Ltd., concerning the disputed ownership of significant oil field interests (disputed amount exceeding US$1 billion) following its secession from the Republic of Sudan.
- Leading American and German pharmaceutical clients in relation to a series of major London-seated arbitration disputes with excess loss insurers arising from indemnification of class action claims made in the U.S. and worldwide by users of various pharmaceutical products.
*Certain representations occurred prior to Emma's association with Cadwalader.