William Lo is an associate in the Finance Group in Cadwalader's London office.
William’s particular focus is on real estate finance. With over a decade of experience in advising on the financing of real estate assets and on the acquisition disposal and financing of real estate asset loan portfolios, William’s experience spans across a variety of UK, Pan-European and global transactions, as well as a diverse range of real estate assets, including hotels, commercial and residential building complexes, and health care and logistics centres.
William represents both lenders and corporate clients, including financial institutions (both bank and alternative lenders), publicly listed and private multinational corporations, joint ventures, international fund managers and private equity.
William is recommended in Legal 500 UK 2019 for his property finance work.
William obtained a Bachelor of Law from University of Leicester, and a Distinction from University of Law. He is admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales.
William has advised a broad range of clients on significant matters,* including:
- Advised Invesco Real Estate on Project Bedrock, a €1 billion financing of a portfolio of European properties;
- Representing a consortium of international investors on a £700 million acquisition of UK private hospitals;
- Acting for one of Qatar's largest private groups on its £200 million acquisition of a world-renowned branded luxury hotel in Leicester Square;
- Acting for an investment fund on its participation in the £325 million financing of The Walbrook Building in Central London;
- Acting for a financial institution on its arrangement and financing of a development of a new Crown Plaza Hotel in Embankment, WC2N;
- Representing a consortium of investors (comprising Residential Land, Apollo Global Management and Canadian pension giant Ivanhoe Cambridge) on the refinancing of £650 million of prime central London properties, one of the largest refinancing deals in the history of the UK private-rented sector;
- Acting for the lender on its financing of a shopping complex in Cambridge;
- Advising Quintain Estates and Development Plc on a significant debt financing for a substantial joint venture property portfolio;
- Continually advising on some of the largest deleveraging programs in the market, including Project Thistle on more than £8 billion in loan acquisitions from Lloyds Banking Group, and representing Bank of Ireland on its sale of a £1.3 billion UK real estate loan book to international real estate investment company Kennedy Wilson; and
- Project Duo and Exo, a £1 billion financing for one of the largest sovereign wealth funds in the world with assets across Europe and Asia, including logistics in Korea.
*Several of the above representations were handled by William prior to joining Cadwalader.