Matthew Robertson's practice is concentrated in the area of real estate finance. He represents national, international and regional financial institutions, investment banks and investors in connection with the financing of a wide range of commercial properties, including commercial office buildings, hotels, shopping centers and multifamily housing.
Matthew's experience includes originations of complex loans including multistate, multi-property mortgage loans and large, sophisticated financings involving multiple lenders and various levels of mortgage and mezzanine debt, and workouts, foreclosures and servicing of such loans. In addition, Matthew has extensive experience in the drafting and negotiation of intercreditor arrangements, and the syndication or sale of participations and whole mortgage and mezzanine loans.
Matthew serves on the board of directors of the Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy, a community-based organization committed to pursuing justice for those in need.
He received his B.A., with honors, from the University of Delaware and his J.D. from Duke University School of Law. He is admitted to practice in the State of North Carolina.
Matthew’s recent representations include advising:
- The lender in a $304 million securitized mortgage loan secured by The Bravern Office Commons in Bellevue, Washington.
- The lenders in a $425 million mortgage and mezzanine financing secured by the Fairmont Austin in Austin, Texas.
- The lender in a $153.4 million mortgage loan secured by a portfolio of six business parks located in Maryland and Virginia.
- The lender in a $108.8 million mortgage loan secured by a portfolio of mobile home parks.
- The lender in two cross-collateralized and cross-defaulted mortgage loans aggregating $447 million and a $180 million mezzanine loan secured by the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel and the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel at the Disney World complex in Orlando, Florida.
- The lender in two mortgage loans aggregating $381.9 million secured by a portfolio of 19 office properties located in nine states across the country.
- The lenders in a $250 million mortgage loan secured by a portfolio of four office and industrial properties located in Alabama, Illinois, Ohio and Nevada.
- The lender in a $375 million mortgage loan secured by a portfolio of 10 office and industrial properties.
- The lender in a $33 million mortgage loan in connection with the acquisition of an apartment building in Rochester, New York.
- The lender in an $11.4 million mortgage and mezzanine financing in connection with the acquisition of Saddlewood Apartments in Lubbock, Texas.
- The lender in a $15.4 million mortgage loan secured by three mixed-use properties located in San Francisco, California.