Matthew Karlan is a special counsel in Cadwalader’s Global Litigation Group. Matthew has experience representing clients in a broad range of complex litigation in state and federal courts, including securities, M&A, corporate governance, antitrust, RICO and bankruptcy matters, as well as other commercial disputes.
Matthew received his J.D., cum laude, from New York University School of Law in 2011, where he was a Robert McKay Scholar and served as a Development Editor of the Annual Survey of American Law. He received his undergraduate degree, cum laude, from Bowdoin College in 2008. Before joining Cadwalader, Matthew was an associate in the New York office of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable P. Kevin Castel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Matthew is admitted to practice in the State of New York and before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- A multi-billion dollar asset management firm in litigation commenced by stockholders in Delaware and New York challenging a merger transaction.
- A hedge fund in litigation in the Southern District of New York asserting that an asset management firm, which had seeded the fund, breached its contractual and disclosure obligations to the fund.
- A leading mining company in obtaining a multibillion-dollar award in an LCIA arbitration concerning misrepresentations in connection a West African mining project.
- A leading mining company before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of civil RICO claims brought by a competitor.
- A private equity firm before the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in defending against Exchange Act claims arising out a portfolio company’s bond issuance.
- A beverage company in defeating a preliminary injunction motion seeking to block the launch of a new product in a multi-district monopolization case brought by competitors and purported class action plaintiffs.
- A market research company before the Southern District of New York in securing dismissal with prejudice of predatory pricing antitrust claims brought by a competitor.
- A national business federation before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit as amicus curiae in support of a petition for interlocutory review of class certification in a securities case on the “price maintenance” theory.
- Matthew also maintains an active pro bono practice. His pro bono matters have included a major federal constitutional and civil rights action against the City of Chicago to address the discriminatory and unreasonable use of force by the Chicago Police Department, resulting in a favorable consent decree; achieving reversal of a client’s New York state criminal conviction on constitutional speedy trial grounds; and securing asylum for a Haitian national who faced political persecution in his home country, among others.
*Several of the above representations were handled by Matthew prior to joining Cadwalader.