Kiran is a partner in the Corporate Group in New York. He represents family offices, private equity firms, hedge funds, global financial institutions and life sciences, industrial and energy companies in connection with public and private domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, restructurings, joint venture formations and corporate governance. He has also provided advice in connection with the design of digital assets and the formation of digital asset-focused alternative investment vehicles.
Formerly the General Counsel of McCourt Global LLC and Unfinished LLC, where he provided legal guidance across the businesses and oversaw strategy for complex transactions, Kiran has considerable experience advising family offices on transactions and corporate governance issues. While at McCourt Global LLC and Unfinished LLC, he advised on private multi-party cross-border M&A transactions, existing and potential joint ventures in the U.S., Europe and Asia; U.S. and European real estate transactions; U.S. and European private financing transactions; various cross-border litigation matters; and complex international intellectual property matters.
Prior to joining McCourt Global LLC and Unfinished LLC, Kiran spent 10 years as a corporate attorney in the New York and Paris offices of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP. Before joining Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, Kiran was a consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton.
He holds a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, a master’s degree from Sciences Po in Paris, and a B.S. from Georgetown University’s Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service.
Kiran also speaks French and previously practiced in France, advising both U.S. and European clients on cross-border M&A transactions.
Public Company M&A
- Related Fund Management in its public offer to the Ladder Capital Corp. board to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Ladder that it did not already own.
- Concho Resources Inc. in its approximately $9.5 billion all-stock acquisition of RSP Permian, Inc.
- Fifth Third Bank in its assessment of Vantiv’s firm offer to acquire Worldpay plc, and the approximately $1.2 billion conversion and sale to Vantiv by Fifth Third Bank of approximately 50% of Fifth Third Bank’s remaining equity interests in Vantiv and Vantiv’s operating company.
- Delta Air Lines Inc. in its €375 million acquisition of an approximately 10% interest in Air France-KLM.
- State Grid Corporation of China in its approximately $13 billion acquisition of a controlling interest in CPFL Energia S.A.
- Tesoro Corporation in its approximately $5.8 billion acquisition of Western Refining, Inc.
- Suncor Energy, Inc. in its successful C$4.6 billion takeover bid for Canadian Oil Sands Limited.
- Remy International, Inc. in its approximately $1.2 billion sale to BorgWarner Inc.
- Synageva Biopharma Corp. in its approximately $8.4 billion sale to Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- BBVA in the approximately $2 billion sale of its approximately 64.3% interest in Chilean pension fund administrator Administradora de Fondos de Pensiones Provida S.A. to MetLife, Inc.
- Electricité de France in its approximately €1.5 billion dual U.S./French tender offer for the 50% of EDF Energies Nouvelles S.A. that it did not already own.
- Frank H. McCourt Jr. and certain affiliates in connection with the sale of their 50% interest in Netherlands-based Global Champions equestrian showjumping tour and league.
- Frank H. McCourt Jr. and certain affiliates in connection with a number of complex transactions involving French Ligue 1 soccer team Olympique de Marseille.
- Weir Group PLC in its approximately $1.285 billion acquisition by private merger of ESCO Corporation.
- Lion Capital LLP in the acquisition by one of its managed funds of a minority investment in Authentic Brands Group LLC from members of management and a fund managed by Leonard Green & Partners LP.
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in the sale of its metals warehousing business to Reuben Brothers.
- BBVA in the approximately $500 million sale of its Panamanian banking affiliate, Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (Panama) S.A., to an affiliate of Grupo Aval.
- BBVA in the approximately $514 million sale over the Lima stock exchange of its Peruvian pension funds administrator, AFP Horizonte S.A., to affiliates of Grupo Sura and the Bank of Nova Scotia.
- ING in the approximately $100 million management buy-out of its U.S.-based real estate investment management business, ING Clarion Partners LLC.
- ING in the approximately $610 million sale of its pan-European and pan-Asian real estate investment management businesses to CBRE, Inc.
- ING in the approximately $330 million sale of its U.S.-based commercial real estate securities investment management business, ING Clarion Real Estate Securities LLC, to CBRE, Inc.
- Various other undisclosed matters on behalf of several prominent private equity firms and financial institutions.
- CVS in its establishment of the world’s then-largest joint-venture for the joint sourcing and negotiation of supply contracts for generic pharmaceuticals.
*Certain representations occurred prior to Kiran's association with Cadwalader.