Karen represents various Fortune 500 companies and significant multimillion and multibillion dollar, privately-owned entities in commercial litigation, including complex federal litigation, civil RICO, antitrust, and bankruptcy.
Karen has been involved in some of the most complex and high-dollar value commercial cases in the country. She has also been involved in a number of international arbitrations. She is currently representing Ashford Hospitality, Argo Turboserv, Starr International and The Related Companies in a variety of litigation matters.
Notable victories and representations for clients resulting in favorable outcomes include:
- Winning a defense verdict for ADT, Inc. in a case brought by one of its largest franchisees.
- Defeating class certification in claims brought by putative class of franchisees against ADT, Inc.
- Successfully defeating a proxy contest by shareholder activists against Ashford Hospitality Trust.
- Successfully defending Starr International Company in its trial victory over American International Group (AIG) in a dispute over the ownership of over $5 billion of AIG stock.
- Winning a multi-million award for The Related Companies on breach of fiduciary duty claims and successfully defeated counterclaims for breach of non-compete, trade secrets, etc.
- Winning a $663 million verdict for a plaintiff in a case against a manufacturer of highway guardrails, one of the largest awards in a whistleblower action without DOJ intervention.
- Winning a lengthy trial for the co-founder of AriZona Iced Tea, related to the multi-billion dollar valuation of the Company.
- Winning partial summary judgment in employment discrimination case against Nike, Inc. and settling sole remaining claim.
- Winning the dismissal of certain claims against DuPont involving theft of trade secrets and settling remaining claims.
- Winning the dismissal of certain claims against Mitsui Chemicals involving theft of trade secrets and settling remaining claims.
- Winning summary judgment for Philip Morris, Inc. in claims brought against it in Florida State Court.
- Obtaining a temporary injunction, which ultimately resulted in a permanent one, blocking the dissemination of materials depicting the 2010 death of a whale trainer at SeaWorld.
Karen has consistently been listed in Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers in America and 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America lists as well as being recognized by Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America. She has developed a nationwide practice and has litigated cases in venues throughout the country.
Karen received her J.D., with honors, from University of Florida Law School, where she was Editor-in-Chief of Florida International Law Journal, and her B.S. from University of Florida.
*Certain representations occurred prior to Karen’s association with Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP.