Karen represents various Fortune 500 companies and significant multimillion and multibillion dollar, privately-owned entities in commercial litigation, including complex federal litigation, civil RICO, antitrust, and bankruptcy.
Karen has been involved in some of the most complex and high-dollar value commercial cases in the country. She has also been involved in a number of international arbitrations. She is currently representing Ashford Hospitality, Argo Turboserv, Starr International and The Related Companies in a variety of litigation matters.
Notable victories and representations for clients resulting in favorable outcomes include:
- Winning a defense verdict for ADT, Inc. in a case brought by one of its largest franchisees.
- Defeating class certification in claims brought by putative class of franchisees against ADT, Inc.
- Successfully defeating a proxy contest by shareholder activists against Ashford Hospitality Trust.
- Successfully defending Starr International Company in its trial victory over American International Group (AIG) in a dispute over the ownership of over $5 billion of AIG stock.
- Winning a multi-million award for The Related Companies on breach of fiduciary duty claims and successfully defeated counterclaims for breach of non-compete, trade secrets, etc.
- Winning a $663 million verdict for a plaintiff in a case against a manufacturer of highway guardrails, one of the largest awards in a whistleblower action without DOJ intervention.
- Winning a lengthy trial for the co-founder of AriZona Iced Tea, related to the multi-billion dollar valuation of the Company.
- Winning partial summary judgment in employment discrimination case against Nike, Inc. and settling sole remaining claim.
- Winning the dismissal of certain claims against DuPont involving theft of trade secrets and settling remaining claims.
- Winning the dismissal of certain claims against Mitsui Chemicals involving theft of trade secrets and settling remaining claims.
- Winning summary judgment for Philip Morris, Inc. in claims brought against it in Florida State Court.
- Obtaining a temporary injunction, which ultimately resulted in a permanent one, blocking the dissemination of materials depicting the 2010 death of a whale trainer at SeaWorld.
Karen has been recognized by Lawdragon as one of the “500 Leading Lawyers in America” every year since 2008, including being named as a “Lawdragon Legend” in 2018 in recognition of her status as a “Leading Lawyer” for 10 consecutive years, and has been recognized as a leader in commercial litigation by The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2013. She has lectured on a variety of topics including civil procedure, class actions and FCA claims.
Karen received her J.D., with honors, from University of Florida Law School, where she was Editor-in-Chief of Florida International Law Journal, and her B.S. from University of Florida.
*Certain representations occurred prior to Karen’s association with Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP.