Adam Risell focuses his practice on representing issuers, underwriters and commercial banks in CLOs and securitization finance facilities backed by pools of middle market loans, broadly syndicated corporate loans, student loans, equipment leases and asset-backed securities.
Adam’s practice also involves structuring and organizing onshore and offshore hedge funds and other investment vehicles, developing, negotiating and documenting a wide variety of financial products, and providing advice to clients with respect to compliance with the Investment Company Act, the Investment Advisers Act, the Securities Act of 1933, U.S. risk retention and other federal and state securities laws and regulations. Adam was recognized as a Rising Star in the 2020 and 2021 editions of Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers.
Adam received his B.S. in Integrated Business and Engineering, Finance from Lehigh University and his M.B.A. from the University of Virginia Darden School of Business. He received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law and is admitted to practice in New York and the District of Columbia.
- Represented MUFG Securities in the €400 million North Westerly VI European cash flow CLO transaction, the first CLO to consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) factors across all its investments.
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with the sale of a commercial loan portfolio with a legal of commitment of $950 million to a distressed debt investment fund.
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with the securitization of over $750 million in equipment lease contracts.
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with the creation of a $1 billion equipment lease warehouse lending facility.
- Represented a global investment manager in the sale of the majority of its European CLOs.
- Represented the issuer in connection with an equity and secured bond offering involving two coal-fired electric generation facilities in New York.
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with a commodity lease financing transaction.
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with a $744 million volumetric production payment.
- Represented a large financial institution in connection with the securitization of over $400 million in student loans.
- Represented a solar-focused investment fund in the acquisition of five solar energy production facilities.
- Represented the issuer and underwriter in connection with a $660 million CLO.
- Represented an international investment bank in connection with structured foreign exchange and liquid natural gas hedges.
- Represented an energy market services provider in connection with the purchase and financing of retail energy receivables.