The Business Development Manager (BDM) is based in New York and is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of business development and marketing strategies for Cadwalader’s market-leading Finance practice. This is a highly visible, partner-facing position that will work closely with practice group chairs, individual partners, other members of the business development team and various internal departments. The BDM will have oversight responsibility for the business development team members supporting the practice group(s) s/he supports. All core activities of the BDM center on supporting client relationship building activities, cross-selling opportunities, profile-raising opportunities, and various targeting initiatives with the goal of lead generation.
- Lead the development and execution of strategic and proactive business development initiatives and opportunities to secure new business for and elevate the market profile of the Finance practice;
- Oversee and execute the preparation of pitches, presentations, RFP responses, background materials and general practice group marketing materials;
- Oversee and execute all legal directory (e.g., Chambers, Legal 500, IFLR), award and league table submissions, including working with the partners to develop submission strategy and reviewing and editing all entries;
- Work with partners to develop and execute practice group and individual business development plans and budgets;
- Understand the Firm’s Fund Finance and Real Estate Finance practices and platforms, client base, market opportunities and business development support needs;
- Conduct client, prospect, industry and market research to identify new business opportunities and provide attorneys with an up-to-date understanding of the competitive landscape;
- Proactively identify business development opportunities by monitoring industry and client news and developments and communicating and tracking lead generation opportunities to the attorneys;
- Work with partners and other senior lawyers to implement strategies and tactics to help the Firm develop and expand client relationships and win new business;
- Analyze the firm’s client base and associated cross-marketing opportunities to identify new business opportunities, in collaboration with Business Development colleagues in other practice groups;
- Maintain a pipeline of opportunities and tracking the results of pitches and proposals, including participating in pitch debriefs and tracking and reporting on client feedback;
- Maintain and update the practice group sections of the Firm’s website;
- Maintain and update practice group experience lists and presentation templates;
- Proactively identify speaking and sponsorship opportunities and working with the Communications team to pursue various profile-raising opportunities and develop internal and external content;
- Working with the Events team to execute internal and external events; and
- Additional projects as required to support the practice groups and Business Development department.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business Administration, liberal arts or related field desired;
- 5+ years of experience in business development within a law firm or professional services environment;
- Excellent team-first attitude;
- Proactive business development professional who can lead initiatives;
- Ability to work with senior partners and develop consensus in group settings;
- Possess strong knowledge of the financial services regulatory legal market;
- Excellent analytical and research skills and the ability to synthesize actionable reports and business development strategies from a wide variety of data and sources;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong computer skills with the Microsoft Offices suite of programs;
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced business environment with the ability to complete projects within tight deadlines;
- Expected to monitor email outside of normal business hours and be available as needed; and
- Willingness to travel, if needed.
The anticipated annual base salary range for this position is $160,000 to $180,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the applicant, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location from which the applicant will be performing the job.
EEOC: Cadwalader is an equal opportunity employer. We offer opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or status in any group protected by federal, state or local law.