Over the past decade, Cadwalader attorneys and staff have incorporated and obtained tax-exempt status for nearly 300 not-for-profit organizations under the umbrella of the Not-for-Profit Incubator. We are proud to contribute to the vital work our clients perform.
Angels Over Alligator Pond provides resources that empower the community of Alligator Pond in the parish of Manchester Jamaica by prioritizing education, sports development, poverty relief and environmental and economic sustainability.
- “In April 2021, Angels Over Alligator Pond awarded 61 tablets to children in Jamaica who could not otherwise afford these devices for the purposes of virtual learning. Since COVID-19 shut the doors of schools on the island, we wanted to open access to virtual learning for these students. The Incubator team’s guidance and support opened the way for us to impact lives in a time of desperate need and uncertainty, and we are forever grateful for their help in navigating the formation process for our organization. The smiles on those tiny faces receiving their first tablet were heartfelt, holding so much promise, and are the fruits of the Incubator’s continued good deeds. We aim to honor their commitment by perpetually paying it forward.” – Simmonie Swaby, co-founder.
The Tessemae’s Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that innovates approaches to bringing fresh, nutritious food into underserved inner cities and rural communities. President Steve Vetter reflects on working with the Incubator to achieve the foundation’s designation as a tax-exempt public charity:
- “We are incredibly grateful to our Cadwalader pro bono legal team for guiding us through the entire 501(c)(3) application process. Our new not-for-profit status expands our potential to create opportunities and establish partnerships as part of our mission to improve access to healthy food across the U.S.”
ACCT is a not-for-profit organization that supports pediatric research related to the cure and treatment of CTNNB1 syndrome and related gene mutations.
- “The Cadwalader Not-for-Profit Incubator helped us every step of the way, from becoming incorporated to obtaining our 501(c)(3) status. Their efforts helped bring our organization from an idea to making our first research grant in less than a year. We could not be more thankful for their support towards finding treatments for CTNNB1 syndrome.” – Lauren Cochran, President, Advancing CTNNB1 Cures and Treatments, Inc.
Friends of the Archer Shakespeareans is a theater and music program for 4th - 8th grade students at Archer Elementary School in The Bronx, NY.
- "The Cadwalader Not-for-Profit Incubator expertly guided us through the entire process of establishing our public charity and within a few months, we were able to receive tax-deductible donations from foundations and individuals who wanted students at a Bronx elementary school to be able to play in a rock band and perform Shakespeare every school year. This year, because of the school’s funding cuts, these activities were at risk… thanks to being a not-for-profit, we were able to raise enough funds to fully maintain the program. We are forever grateful to Cadwalader for helping us bring music and Shakespeare into the lives of so many students." – Rory O’Mally, President, Friends of The Archer Shakespeareans, Inc.
Other clients include:
- An international organization dedicated to ending acid burn violence at a global level.
- An organization that provides opportunities for underrepresented filmmakers, creating greater diversity in the film and television industries.
- An independent school that seeks to develop the full potential of every child through a curriculum integrating an intense arts education and rigorous academics.
- A program that provides formerly incarcerated individuals with counseling, tutoring and vocational training, and financial resources in order to reduce recidivism rates.
- A group that provides comfort, support, social engagement and encouragement to mothers who have suffered the loss of a child.
- A program that provides economically disadvantaged fourth through eighth-grade students with the opportunity to perform in a Shakespeare play, learn and experience theatre, and develop life skills.
- An organization that educates and empowers women and girls of color to advocate for themselves and other disadvantaged groups through programming, trainings, and educational materials on social activism and community advocacy.
- A foundation that combats gun violence in communities of color and low socioeconomic status by providing gun awareness and educational resources to community youth, as well as support and resources to families impacted by youth gun violence.