Rocky Lee is the Asia Managing Partner and Head of Cadwalader’s Greater China Corporate Practice. As an expert in complex PRC business and legal issues, his clients include a wide range of public and private Western and Chinese companies, financial institutions, investment banks, asset managers, private equity and venture capital funds, and startups.
Recognized by the Financial Times as one of Asia’s most innovative lawyers, Rocky advises western and multinational companies on how to navigate China’s complex regulations governing intellectual property matters, foreign investment, foreign exchange and the structuring of cross-border transactions. He is also an authority on the use of the VIE structure in China.
Rocky has extensive expertise in China’s “restricted industries,” such as the Internet, banking, funds, broadcasting, e-commerce, education, energy, financial services, healthcare, media and entertainment, publishing and telecommunications.
Rocky graduated from the University of California Berkeley, with high honors and academic distinction, and received his law degree, specializing in business law, from the University of California Los Angeles School of Law. He is admitted to practice in the State of California, and is fluent (reading, writing and speaking) in English and Mandarin. Rocky has lived and practiced law in Beijing for over a decade.
Select Recent Experience
- Xiaomi’s US$ 1.1 billion series F financing; at the time the largest technology VC/PE transaction in China. This innovative private placement syndication is widely viewed as a precedent-setting transaction, making Xiaomi one of China’s most valuable venture-backed start-ups by valuation at US$46 billion.
- The merger and financing of Didi-Kuaidi, China’s largest taxi hailing company, making Didi-Kuaidi China’s second most valuable technology start-up by valuation at US$10 billion.
- The US$300 million series D financing of Tujia, one of the leading apartment and hotel booking platforms in China.
- CMBC International on its US$1.7 billion acquisition of QUAM, a Hong Kong listed securities firm.
- The US$155 million series C financing of VIP ABC, China’s largest online English learning organization,.
- Coatue’s US$200 million series E preferred investment in GrabTaxi, a smartphone based booking and dispatch platform.
- Horizon Robotics, a leading robotics brain chip provider, in its Seed Financing.
- Financial Times – Rocky Lee named as an Asia Pacific Innovative Individual in 2015
- China Business Law Journal – Cadwalader named Private Equity and Venture Capital Law Firm of the Year for 2014 and 2015
- Best Lawyers Advisory Board – Sole China Expert, 2013
- Keynote panelist and moderator, "The Changing Landscape of IP in China”, MSFT IOP Program hosted by Microsoft, 2015, Shanghai.
- Keynote speaker, 13th Annual Deutsche Bank Access China Conference, 2015, Beijing, China.
- Keynote speaker, 12th Annual Deutsche Bank Access China Conference, 2014, Beijing, China.