Securitization & Asset Based Finance
Fordham University, School of Law - J.D., 2009
William E. Macaulay Honors College -
City University of New York, Baruch College - B.B.A., 2005, summa cum laude
Jamie Thompson is a senior associate in Cadwalader’s Capital Markets Group. He represents a broad range of financial institutions, corporate issuers, investment funds and other capital markets participants in their roles as issuers, underwriters, borrowers, lenders, sellers and investors in U.S. and international structured finance transactions.
He has significant experience representing clients in securitization transactions involving a diversity of assets, including commercial and residential mortgage loans, student loans, consumer loans, credit card receivables, cell phone receivables and various other assets. He has represented clients in the structuring of complex financing arrangements, including ABS, term and revolving warehouse facilities, credit facilities, bank financings, asset sales and purchases, repurchase facilities, CLOs and other forms of structured products. He has represented issuers and underwriters in the implementation of financing arrangements designed to provide access to the capital markets for first-time issuers, borrowers, originators and other market participants.
Jamie received his J.D. from the Fordham University School of Law where he was an associate editor of the Journal of Corporate and Financial Law. He received his Bachelor of Business Administration, summa cum laude, from Baruch College, where he was a member of the inaugural class of the Macaulay Honors College.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest cell phone service providers in the first U.S. term issuance of asset-backed securities backed by a revolving pool of over $1 billion of wireless device payment plan agreements, as well as the establishment of a $1.5 billion revolving credit facility designed to finance the ongoing origination of such device payment plan agreements.
- Represented a global investment bank in the establishment of a revolving warehouse facility designed to finance the purchase by a FinTech startup of a portfolio of subprime credit card receivables originated by an established credit card issuer. The acquisition established the purchaser as one of the nation’s largest owners of credit card accounts and receivables. The syndicated facility featured both term and variable funding notes representing over $1.5 billion.
- Represented several global investment banks in the establishment of various revolving credit facilities designed to finance the origination by a notable online lender of its private student and consumer loans. Represented various underwriters in the series issuance of privately placed notes backed by the student and consumer loans financed through such revolving credit facilities.
- Represented an alternative asset manager in the establishment of a REMIC platform to offer bridge loan financing for the private development of various real estate projects.
- Represented major UK–based global investment bank and relevant affiliates as depositor and issuer of approximately $4,000,000,000 in four registered offerings of commercial mortgage-backed certificates.
- Represented sponsor and various underwriters in the series issuance and re-marketing of publicly issued and offered notes backed by student loans originated by or on behalf of the one of the nation’s largest student loan lenders, originators and servicers.
- Represented various commercial real estate loan sellers and sponsors in registered offerings of commercial mortgage-backed certificates with an aggregate principal balance of over $7,500,000,000.
- Represented depositor and issuer in the issuance of $620,000,000 of non-registered notes collateralized by a single commercial real estate loan backed by a portfolio of multifamily properties located in various states across the United States.
- Represented depositor and issuer in the issuance of $350,000,000 of non-registered notes collateralized by a single, componentized real estate loan backed by a world class resort hotel located in Maui, Hawaii.
- Represented lender/equity sponsor in connection with the establishment of a collateralized loan obligation vehicle structured to issue in the aggregate £950,000,000 of term and variable funding notes backed by trade receivables outstanding in five European jurisdictions.
- Represented issuers in three 144A/Reg S private placements (each of which was the first such offering by the related issuer) of approximately $1,000,000,000 of CLO notes backed by commercial real estate loans.
- Represented sponsor, depositor and issuer in the re-securitization and issuance of $170,000,000 of non-registered certificates themselves backed by vintage collateralized debt obligation notes.
- Represented placement agents in two private placements of approximately $380,000,000 in the aggregate of CLO notes backed by commercial real estate loans.
- Represented underwriters in the registered offerings of fixed rate, medium-term corporate notes of one of the nation’s largest student loan lenders, originators and servicers.