Christopher Porcelli is an associate in Cadwalader's Corporate Group. His practice is concentrated in the area of corporate law, with an emphasis on shareholder activism and defense, takeover preparedness and defense, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, corporate finance and securities law. Christopher represents clients in a wide-range of transactions such as public and private mergers, acquisitions, securities offerings, tender offers and other complex corporate transactions.
Christopher received his B.A. in Government and Politics from St. John’s University, and his J.D. from New York University School of Law. While at NYU, Christopher was a Graduate Student Research Fellow with the Pollack Center for Law & Business, a teaching assistant for an undergraduate business law course and co-founded NYU’s Sports Law Association.
Christopher has advised clients on numerous significant matters, including the representation of:
Investors Nathan Miller and Peter O’Malley in their successful effort to replace the entire board of directors of Destination Maternity Corporation with a majority-female slate
Alcentra Capital Corporation in its response to an activist investor
Hudson Executive Capital in connection with its investment in Cardtronics plc
Activist investor Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square Capital Management in its acquisition of an 8% stake in ADP and proxy contest seeking to elect three directors to the board
- Marcato Capital Management LP in its acquisition of a 6% stake in Deckers Outdoor Corporation and proxy contest seeking to elect 10 directors to the board
- The Howard Hughes Corporation in a Rule 144A/Reg S add-on offering of $200 million aggregate principal amount of senior notes
- Marcato Capital Management LP in its acquisition of a 9.9 % stake in Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. and its successful effort to elect three directors to the company’s board in a proxy contest
- Activist investor Paul Hilal’s Mantle Ridge LP in its investment in CSX Corporation and successful effort to install Hunter Harrison as the company’s CEO and to add five new directors, including Hilal and Harrison, to the company’s board
- Evercore in its capacity as financial advisor to Höegh LNG Partners LP in connection with a dropdown transaction pursuant to which Höegh LNG Partners purchased from a subsidiary of Höegh LNG Holdings Ltd. a 51% ownership interest in Höegh LNG Colombia Holding Ltd. for a purchase price of $189 million
- Evercore in its capacity as financial advisor to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Genco Shipping & Trading Limited in connection with the sale of preferred stock by Genco to a number of investors, including affiliates of Centerbridge, Apollo and Strategic Value Partners, for an aggregate purchase price of $125 million
- Safe Bulkers, Inc. in connection with the novation of a shipbuilding contract to a bankruptcy remote subsidiary of the Company, the amendment of payment terms under such shipbuilding contract, and the establishment of a related $50 million joint venture with a third party investor
- Activist investor Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square Capital Management in its acquisition of a 9.9% stake in Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. and subsequent agreement with the Company to add four new board members
- Safe Bulkers, Inc. in a $17.2 million public offering of common shares