Senior Manager of Business Development
Contact(s): Claire Middleton
With a reputation for innovation, Cadwalader is an international law firm with a strong presence in the United States and Europe, and over 225 years of experience in serving clients in the global financial services, investment management and corporate sectors.
As a Senior Manager of Business Development at Cadwalader, you will be based in the London office and work closely with the partners in London. Under the direction of the Managing Partner of the London office and the Director of Global Business Development and Marketing (based in NY), you will proactively identify, develop and lead the implementation of business development and marketing strategies for the firm’s business in London and Europe. Ensuring integrated and consistent methodologies with the U.S. offices is critical.
This role will play a key part in driving the firm’s expansion in a manner consistent with Cadwalader’s core values and overall marketing strategy. The role will be expected to deliver improved results in business generation across all practice areas in London by embedding effective and focused approaches to business development that build on the firm’s strong brand and market profiles. You will also work with the Business Development, Marketing and Communications team to provide global practice support.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In conjunction with the Managing Partner of the London office and the Director of Global Business Development and Marketing, develop a business development strategy for the firm in London that supports the firm’s overall business strategy, the wider development of its business services and the enhancement of its competitive advantage in key markets, while delivering the most effective return on our investment in business development.
- Build consensus and support for the business development strategy among partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate and facilitate the exchange of information and ideas with the U.S.-based business development team on cross-office and cross-practice initiatives that expand firm business.
- Develop and manage staff within the London-based business development team so as to ensure high levels of individual performance as well as continuous learning and development by members of the team.
- Work closely with partners and other stakeholders to understand key lawyer and firm client relationships, and develop and/or refine best practices to encourage active client engagement.
- Lead responses to pitches and RFPs.
- Lead responses to directory and related submissions.
- Work with the communications team to source opportunities for thought leadership that increase the visibility of the London office and its lawyers.
- Play a key leading role in the firm’s Client Service Team initiative.
- Oversee London-based events and other firm sponsorships and activities.
- Considerable professional work experience at a management level; experience leading business development or marketing initiatives at a major U.S. or UK law firm or professional services firm in the London market preferred.
- Excellent research and analytical skills; ability to synthesise data in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to build consensus among senior-level partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable track record of successfully executing on business development and marketing initiatives.
- In-depth understanding of subject matter and the opportunities and challenges facing global law firms in the London market.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Must possess attention to detail, and the ability to handle sensitive information and excel in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business administration, humanities or related field desired; post-graduate degree a bonus.
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours and on weekends as required.
- Willingness to travel if required.