Location: New York
Contact(s): Tracey Breslin
The Conflicts Attorney is for assisting with the review, identification, analysis and resolution of potential conflicts issues with respect to clients, matters and incoming lawyers firm-wide. Actively follows-up on conflicts clearance with all responsible parties handling new engagements and lateral hires. Works with internal stakeholders to implement and maintain screening requirements, and conflicts department policies and procedures.
- Review conflict reports prepared for matters worldwide, identify potential conflicts of interest issues under the New York rules and potential business conflict issues; provide detailed analysis and advice directly to relevant attorneys.
- Escalate potential issues to the partners and/or General Counsel’s Office and assist in obtaining any necessary waivers.
- Work with conflicts analysts on conflicts due diligence and clearing for potential and incoming laterals, identify potential conflicts of interest issues; provide detailed analysis and advice directly to involved partners.
- Answer queries from professional staff across the firm, including, for example, secretarial staff and Business Development professionals, concerning conflict checks and processes
- Requires a comprehensive knowledge of U.S. conflicts rules, preferably the New York Rules of Professional Conduct, and related guidance.
- Must be able to work efficiently, give clear and commercial advice and understand the significance of matters in the wider context of the firm’s business.
- Must have strong analytical and organizational skills. Must demonstrate the ability to pay close attention to detail and to work to very high standards of accuracy and efficiency, but balanced with a practical, common sense approach.
- Must be able to summarize complex information succinctly and thoroughly, and to balance a workload comprising of day to day queries as well as longer-term projects that may arise from time to time.
- Must be able to effectively liaise with all levels of both legal and professional staff to assist with the resolution of issues and be able to inspire confidence from senior people.
- Should be resourceful, possess initiative and be able to work autonomously with a high personal motivation, while also being an effective member of a global team. Must be able to prioritize, multi task and show resilience, confidence and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
EEOC: Cadwalader is an equal opportunity employer. We offer opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or status in any group protected by federal, state or local law.Apply