Michael Dolan is senior counsel in the Litigation Department of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP. For more than 30 years, he has been engaged in a variety of commercial litigation matters before federal and state courts, arbitration tribunals, and regulatory agencies. His practice is focused on complex commercial disputes, as well as regulatory and internal investigations and alternate dispute resolution. Mike is a member of the mediation panels for the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York and Supreme Court, New York County, Commercial Division.
In recent cases where Mike participated as lead or co-lead counsel, he has:
- Coordinated a nationwide discovery effort in connection with prosecuting multi-billion dollar claims on behalf of a financial guaranty insurer based on fraud and breach of warranty involving over 62,000 home equity mortgages.
- Represented holders of High Yield Debt in a European-based bankrupt group of advertising and search firms in challenging the proposed Plan of Reorganization and proposed sale of U.S. assets.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a public company whose operations in West Africa were under review by the Department of Justice and the SEC for possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented a public retail company in conducting an internal investigation of certain accounting practices of the company under review by the SEC resulting in the SEC closing its investigation and taking no action against the company.
- Conducted an internal review of policies and practices of the reinsurance unit of a multinational corporation and the conduct of executives in the company's Asian office in response to investigations initiated by foreign regulators.
- Worked as part of the legal team representing the debtors in the Chapter 11 reorganization of a major international chemical company and in defending against claims by unsecured creditors.
- Represented a Japanese reinsurance company in its capacity as a member of the world's largest aviation reinsurance pool in proceedings against a big four accounting firm relating to the firm's audits of the reinsurance pool.
- Represented the liquidator of a Canadian life insurance company in pursuing accountant's liability claims against the company's former Canadian and U.S. auditors arising out of the largest insurance insolvency in North America.
- Represented a major clearing broker in defense of securities fraud class actions filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York involving alleged market manipulation of biotechnology securities.
- Worked as part of the legal team for the co-independent counsel/consultants appointed pursuant to regulatory orders issued by the SEC, the CFTC, the Federal Reserve Board, and the New York State Banking Department to investigate the derivatives practices of a major financial institution.
Mike is a graduate of the University of Dayton. He earned an M.B.A. from SUNY at Buffalo and his J.D. from Fordham Law School, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of The Fordham Urban Law Journal. Following law school, he served as a law clerk to The Honorable Henry F. Werker, U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of New York. He is admitted to practice in New York.
Mike is a member of the American Bar Association (Litigation Section), the New York State Bar Association (Dispute Resolution Section).