Cadwalader has this year been shortlisted for an impressive total of eight European awards by the International Financial Law Review (IFLR), one the leading global legal publications. The firm earned five “deal of the year” nominations for its work on three high-profile European restructuring matters and two market-first securitisations, two “team of the year” nominations, and consideration as Most Innovative US Firm in Europe.
The firm was shortlisted for five deals of the year:
- ATU’s holding chain restructuring. Cadwalader acted as international counsel for a majority stakeholder in German company ATU’s €250 million debt restructuring.
- Camaieu Group. Cadwalader, jointly with its strategic alliance firm Bremond & Associes, acted as international counsel for a group of second lien lenders in the €1.3 billion restructuring of the Camaïeu Group, France’s leading retailer for women’s ready-to-wear fashion.
- Ukrainian sovereign debt restructuring. Cadwalader acted for an ad hoc group of noteholders in the reprofiling of US$500m of bond debt in relation to Ukrzaliznytsia, the Ukrainian state railway network operator.
Structured Finance and Securitisation
- Funding Circle securitisation. Cadwalader advised the arranger of a securitisation backed by £130m of loans to UK SMEs originated on the Funding Circle platform -- the first public, rated securitisation of marketplace loans in Europe.
- ZOPA consumer loan securitisation. Cadwalader advised the arranger of a securitisation backed by £150m of loans to UK consumers originated on the Zopa platform -- the first public, rated securitisation of marketplace consumer loans in Europe.
The firm was also shortlisted for two team of the year awards:
- Restructuring. Cadwalader has one of the leading London-based European restructuring practices. The firm’s depth of expertise across restructuring and insolvency, special situations, distressed M&A and distressed investing, has enabled Cadwalader to help buy side clients successfully navigate complex multi-jurisdictional restructurings and achieve their desired outcomes, whether that is as an existing creditor or new investor.
- Structured Finance and Securitisation. Cadwalader has built one of the leading European securitisation and structured finance practices in the London market, acting for almost every major securitisation and structured finance bank desk in the City, across a range of products and asset classes. Exceptionally, for a practice of this kind, the team also acts for private equity funds, alternative finance platforms, collateral managers and corporates, in addition to major financial institutions. The team recently picked up four Financial Times awards for legal innovation in securitisation, risk retention, alternative finance and for one of the most innovative lawyers in Europe.
“We are delighted by the IFLR’s acknowledgement of our exceptional work in Europe on a number of highly complex matters,” said Cadwalader managing partner Pat Quinn. “Most importantly, we are deeply appreciative of our clients in Europe who continue to turn to our London-based capital markets and restructuring teams for help on their most complex transactions.”
“Cadwalader has built top-tier capital markets and restructuring practices in London, attracting the brightest and best legal talent to work on some of the most interesting and complex transactions in Europe alongside our clients,” added London managing partner Gregory Petrick, “These awards, including Most Innovative US Firm in Europe, underline our commitment to excellence for our clients and to our continuing investment in building our London team.”
All deal and team winners, along with the National Law Firms of the Year, will be announced at the awards ceremony on April 20 at the Savoy Hotel in London.